As well as using our handicaps to monitor improvement in our shooting there is another element that we can monitor that also helps to indicate improvement and that is your classification.

You may have noticed that some Archers have a number of badges on their quivers, if you look closely enough you’ll undoubtedly found a classification badge lurking there somewhere.

(It is important to know that although you may shoot a really good score that may reduce your current handicap it will not necessarily affect your classification)

A classification is only valid for one year following the year in which it was attained. To maintain a classification, qualifying scores have to be made each year.

Outdoor Classifications

By default a novice archer is classed as Archer, as you improve and begin to put in better scores you will begin to move through into a higher classifications – these are 3rd class, 2nd class, 1st class, Bowman, Master Bowman and Grand Master Bowman. These classifications (apart from GMB) are also awarded to juniors but there are separate qualifying scores for each age group. When a junior moves to a new age group his/her classification will be be recalculated based on the three best qualifying rounds from the previous 12 months.

Outdoor classifications are awarded to Archers of all bow types and tables explaining the scores needed to be shot can be found on pages 33-59 of this attachment.

To qualify for a classification you must shoot 3 qualifying rounds under GNAS rules in a single calendar year at a tournament or club target day. For Master Bowman or Grand Master Bowman they must be shot at meetings held by FITA, FITA members or GNAS, or at National Record Status Meetings.
Indoor Classifications

The indoor classifications start at H and progress through G, F, E, D, C and B to A. There are only two disciplines; recurve and compound. There are separate qualifying scores for Gentlemen and Ladies but no separate scores for juniors. To qualify for a classification you must shoot 3 qualifying rounds under GNAS rules in an indoor year – the tables explaining the scores need to be shot for each indoor classification can be found on page 60 of the attachment on this page.

Your club records officer will be keeping track of your scores and any associated classifications and as with the handicaps his/her records are the ones that you need to work from, but as with the handicaps keeping an eye on your own classification is good practice.